Saturday 29 November 2014

To Those Who Work the Night Shift





We don’t celebrate Thanksgiving here in Australia, and I honestly think that’s our loss – especially in the days leading up to Christmas. A chance to stop for a day in our crazily busy lives and say thankyou? Yes please!

I’m thankful for so many things and so many incredible people in my life but you know who I’m really thankful for this year? Those who work the night shifts.  Those who work while the rest of us sleep to give us the lives we have, and rarely even get noticed until something goes wrong. You deserve far more gratitude than you ever get.

Mere words could never be enough, but thankyou...

To the doctors who answer the 2am emergency calls, and the nurses who spend their nights cleaning up far more than I ever want to know exists. You do a job I could never do and mean the world to me. I don’t know how you do it, but I want to thank you.

To the firemen, paramedics and policemen who work long hours, often beyond their scheduled shifts, and daily risk their lives to save ours. When I think of heroes, I think of you. Thankyou.

To the pilots, bus drivers, taxi drivers, train drivers – those people who drive through the night and deal with grumpy, sleepy people so I can get home to those I love. Thankyou.

To the dedicated men and women who spend the lonely dark hours cleaning. You amaze me. Cleaning is miserable at the best of times, but in the middle of the night? When all is quiet and every noise ten times louder. When no one’s there to see. You’re there, night after night, early morning after early morning. Thankyou.  

To the support people on the other end of the phone at so many helplines. I’ve never had reason to call, but just knowing you’re there gives me such comfort. While I’m sleeping, you’re saving lives. Thankyou.

To those who stock shelves, fix roads, bake bread... I might not know your names, but I appreciate all you do. Don’t ever think you don’t make a difference – you do.

To the mothers who get up night after night to feed babies, administer medication, check on their kids, change dirty sheets, listen to their child’s raspy breathing, chat to the child who hasn’t yet figured out that 4am is really early, cuddle a crying toddler, settle and un-settle-able baby – and then stay awake all day doing the same – you are appreciated. The nights are long and lonely but you’re not alone. You might not feel like it, but you are making a difference. A huge difference. Thankyou.

To God, who never sleeps and never gets tired. Who hears every desperate midnight plea for one more ounce of energy and another round of wisdom, who comforts and holds and is just there. Believe me, you are appreciated! I’d have given up long ago without you.

To all those who work the night shifts – THANKYOU!!! You are more appreciated than you’ll ever know. You bring hope in the dark hours. And every day change lives. Thankyou.  

We might not celebrate Thanksgiving, but we can all be thankful. So this is my challenge... thank someone. Pick one person who makes a difference in your life and thank them. You might be the first person who ever has.


3 comments:

  1. Wonderfully written, Hannah! Well done... I too, would love to celebrate Thanksgiving properly - and I've decided that from now on Steve and I are going to just to ensure we don't forget how truly blessed we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeni. I love that you've decided to celebrate it! That's so cool! Enjoy :)

      Delete